30 Before 30: Flying Trapeze
When I lived in San Francisco, I happened upon an aerial arts school that taught flying trapeze but I never had the chance to go. I kept this wish in the back of my mind after I moved from SF and continued to look for similar schools with each city I moved to. Seattle did not disappoint.
I finally took the leap… no pun intended… on Tuesday with Emily and Amy. Amy had been a few times before and was on to more challenging tricks. She was gracefully from get go. Emily, who was just as green as I was, picked up the tricks without a second thought.
Me? Well, I was a bit awkward… but we knew that would happen before I even started. It’s my brand. And yet – I jumped off, did a trick, and made a catch.
When I first made my 30 before 30 list, people were encouraging but they also thought it was a little silly. What is does a catch on a flying trapeze accomplish? This, and the other 30 before 30 items, put me out of my comfort zone. They force me to try something new and risk failing.
I am not going to lie… I have watched the videos from last night over and over again. I am not ashamed to say I am so proud of myself. I was really scared and I didn’t think I could do it. But I still tried, risked failing, and was rewarded with a catch.
- Get a pixie haircut.
Completed Dec 12, 2012
- Go on a vacation alone.
- Learn to longboard. Or at least attempt it.
- Complete a catch on the flying trapeze.
Completed Sept 24, 2013
- Throw a fancy dinner party.
- Run a marathon. (But I will settle for a half)
- Visit Canada.
- Travel to a country I have never been before (not Canada).
Completed May 9, 2013 with Amsterdam
- Revisit my best friend in Florida.
- See a football game in the south. War Eagle.
- Learn to grill.
Completed April 2013
- Attempt snowboarding… again.
- Take a cooking class.
- Completed Nov 11, 2012 at Pantry at Delancy
- Pie Ninja
- Hold my future niece or nephew.
- Treat my parents.
- Make a pie from scratch.
Completed Nov 21, 2012 with a Ginger Apple Streusel “Pie”
- Find the perfect swimsuit.
- Decorate a christmas tree.
- Ride a motorcycle.
- Explore 5 states I have never visited before.
- Conquer my reoccuring NYE resolution of reading 50 books in one year.
- Learn to french braid.
- Take a 2 week vacation: 2 consecutive weeks.
- Build something… that doesn’t come from Ikea.
- Do one cartwheel.
- Matchmake a couple, successfully.
- Wear my navy blue special occasion Florida dress.
- Be apart of something momentous, memorable, and national. Subjective… deal with it.
BONUS: Be awesome every day.